Shirt fitting and construction with Lynne Johnson
Times for each day: 12.30pm – 3.30pm (12.30pm setup)
Do you want to learn how to make your own blouses or shirts including all those “tricky” construction details such as plackets, collars, cuffs, buttonholes and pockets? Have you struggled to get a professional looking finish on shirts before or struggled to get them to fit your body?
This is a 6-week course will teach you industry techniques to get a perfect “ready to wear” finish that fits! This course is designed for the confident beginner right up to the advanced sewers. You should understand basic garment construction to undertake this course.
The course will cover the following techniques and along with constructing a button up shirt and will develop skills in the following:
- Advice on fabric selection and style for each student
- Collars and stands
- Cuffs and continuous placket construction
- Interfacings and notions
- Industry construction techniques in shirt construction
- And fitting
During the class you will also sew a variety of “practice samples” that cover the above techniques.
Please note that there will be an expectation for additional sewing to be done at home as this is a technique focussed course and you will not be able to complete all tasks during lesson time.
The materials required for this course are:
- Sewing machine with foot control
- 5 metres of calico
- Trace (available in the shop)
- Fabric scissors
- Thread snips
- Sewing thread for samples
- Seam gauge
- Tape measure
- Glass Head Pins
- 2B pencil
- Fine marker pens – red & blue (textas)
- Fabric marking pen
- Tailors chalk or chalk pen
- Fabric for shirt pattern chosen (this will be advised in lesson 1so please do not choose this prior)
- Machine needles suitable for the fabric chosen
- 1m ruler – available in shop
- The pattern you would like to consider making b- with collar and cuffs
- Seam roll
- Tailors ham
All items should be marked with your name to avoid loss during the class.
Parts of this course will happen whilst the shop is closed for privacy during fitting. At this stage we are only able to offer the course for ladies only.
Free Coffee/Tea making facilities and a restroom is available in the shop for use.