Perfect Fit Pants With Lynne Johnson
Date: A 5 week course, every Saturday from 2:30 to 4:30.
10th October, 17th October, 24th October, 31st October, 7th November
Do you want to make your own trousers including all those “tricky” construction details such as zip fly, fitting and pockets? Have you always wanted to make your own pants, or have tried, but don’t know how to get a great fit?
This is a 5 week course will teach you industry techniques to get a perfect “ready to wear” finish that fits! This course is designed for the confident beginner right up to the advanced sewers.
The course will cover the following techniques and along with a pair of trousers you will develop skills in the following:
- Advice on fabric selection and style for each student
- Pocket construction
- Zip insertion – both front zip fly and side/back zip insertion depending on the pattern you choose.
- Industry construction techniques in pant making
- Fitting your pants and diagnosing a range of issues
During the class you will also sew a variety of “practice samples” that cover the above techniques as well as deconstructing the fly front on a pair of pants or jeans and re-constructing them to perfect your techniques.
You will also choose one of the following methods to learn. Each student can choose the method that they wish to learn.
Pants Method 1: Developing a pattern from your favourite pair of pants
Pants method 2: Making a toile from a commercial pattern and adjusting it to fit your body.
Please note that there will be an expectation for additional sewing to be done at home as this is a technique focused course and you will not be able to complete all tasks during lesson time.
The materials required for this course are:
- Sewing machine
- Pattern “Trace” (available in the shop)
- Fabric scissors
- Thread snips
- Sewing thread
- Tape measure
- 2B pencil
- Fabric marking pen and chalk
- Fabric for pants (this will be advised in lesson 1 or 2, so please do not choose this prior)
- Machine needles suitable for the fabric chosen
- Any patterns you would like to consider making (Suggested pattern: Fashion Patterns by Coni (www.fashionpatterns.com)
- Up to 3 pairs of pants that you currently enjoy wearing
- A pair of jeans or pants to deconstruct
All items should be marked with your name to avoid loss during the class.
This course will happen whilst the shop is closed for privacy during fitting. At this stage we are only able to offer the course for ladies only.
Free Coffee/Tea making facilities and a restroom is available in the shop for use.